Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I've always wanted to be quietly brilliant; a subtle genius. I want to make things and have people say "wow" when they see it. I want to make an impact, to let people know that I'm here. And I want to be modest about it.

See, the real problem is, I've never been particularly brilliant. I'm not special, I can't make someone cry with a page of writing, I can't inspire someone with a drawing. Have you ever tried to create a character that the world can relate to? Not as easy as it seems. Have you ever tried to get a peice of writing to flow with a grace enviable of a swan? Not as easy as it seems. Have you ever tried not to boast about something you know to be one of the best works you've ever done? Not as easy as it seems.

So maybe I've accomplished a thing or two. Maybe I've made something I happen to like. What good is it if it's not appreciated? How is it appreciated if it isn't seen? How is it seen if it isn't shown? How is it shown without the shower seeming boastful? It's hard. Unknown brilliance quickly turns to loud, showy, concieted, I'm-so-much-better-than-you brilliance.

You see the problem? So much for the small importance I want.

No comments: